Friday, August 14, 2015

Summer Doldrums

Better Audio version
(i)
Come unto these yellow sands,
And then take hands:
Curtsied when you have, and kissed
The wild waves whist,
Foot it featly here and there;
And, sweet sprites, the burden bear.
Hark, hark!
Bow, wow
The watch-dogs bark,
Bow, wow,
Hark, hark! I hear
The strain of strutting Chanticleer
Cry, Cock-a-diddle-dow.

(ii)
Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade,
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange:
Sea nymphs hourly ring his knell.
Ding-dong!
Hark! now I hear them,
Ding-dong, bell!

(iii)
Where the bee sucks, there suck I,
In a cowslip's bell I lie,
There I couch when owls do cry,
On the bat's back I do fly
After summer merrily.
Merrily, merrily, shall I live now
Under the blossom that hangs on the bough.
William Shakespeare, "Ariel's Songs"

8 comments:

Jen said...

I would say "I'm SO ready for Fall"...but I know I'll probably get the blues as we head into winter...so. :p

Distraction seems to work well for me lately.

Thersites said...

Distractions from work are what I find so annoying lately. I just want to jump into my two Zizek books, but can't clear mt mind enough to even get re-started. I spend too much time "distracted".

Jen said...

We're talking about the same thing, just using different words. :-)

Your Zizek books are my camera / paint / reading.

Our "work" just looks different.

p.s. You engineers have that in common....your brains never seem to stop, even when you want them to. My husband used to wake up in the middle of the night with the answer to a problem he'd been working on all day.

Thersites said...

It's a real problem when you lease out your brain for a living. You can't just take it off the clock when the whistle blows. :(

Jen said...

Indeed. That's why I say you should use every single vacation day you have. Don't ever let them go to waste!

Thersites said...

Good advice, except that I now have the opportunity to cash in my unused days for $, and I need to take advantage of it before they take it away again. They used to cash our unused vacation time out at the end of every year, but they made vacation a "use or lose" proposition for the past couple of years. This year, they're gone back to cashing us in.

I could do the overtime route, but that makes the pace even more distracting...

That's what happens when you put three kids through college. It's "pay me now" or "pay me later". I'm still in the "pay me later" phase. :(

Jen said...

Oh gosh...I can feel it coming. :/

I hope you take good care of yourself during this time.

-FJ the Dangerous and Extreme MAGA Jew said...

No worries. The great thing about being the single signer of a Parent PLUS loan is that the loan dies with you. ;)