Saturday, May 20, 2023

Getting Out of the Way of the Images....

Perhaps this is why certain people prefer film and/or photography.  How the Super-ego-recessive right brain hemisphere interprets the world (by sight, induction and intuition) and the ego-dominant Left (by sound, deduction and logic).  And dreams are the result of an "other-centric" brain hemisphere's Super-Ego explaining to its' dominant but visually-impaired counterpart the pertinent events of the day as it gets transferred from temporary storage into permanent memory (REM sleep).  During the Day, My ego is in charge and converses with the right-hemisphere's counterpart Ego-ideal.  But at night, the Super-Ego become dominant and converses with the unconscious Ego's (and Ids) true desires, and entertains them.  Day/night, the Id demands... an offers up the dominant need... hunger... thirst... the most pressing pain requiring attention (sexual relief) or alleviation du jour.
This is my big problem.  I'm too self-conscious.  I can't get out of the way of my own images.  My words get in their way.  I should express myself in images, not words.  It's why I fear public speaking and sometimes say things that make no sense.  The in-the-moment interpretation does not correspond with the imagination.

Childhood is special.  Your mind has not analyzed all the images.  It had no language with which to do so.  And as it recalls, the raw image come back, not some erroneous hyper-real  "analysis" of them.  Imagination replaced interpretation.  Education robs children of their imaginations, because it replaces imaginations with interpretations (from the hyper-reality of the 'other').  You become trapped in the nightmare of their desires, of che vuoi)

10 comments:

Jen said...

I love reading your words, much more than quotes or articles. And I relate so very much to getting in the way of your own self expression.

Imagine how much clearer we could see each other, how much deeper we could know one another, and how much more we fully live our lives if we could get out of our own way and communicate fully and earnestly.

It's so rare to experience that, I think. That is definitely why I love photography and symbolic art forms.

Jen said...

Do you remember your dreams? I rarely ever do.

Jen said...

I am part of a book club that's focusing on all things Carl Jung. (I swear it wasn't my idea.) But I'm reading The Alchemist for the second time, and I'm struggling to envision the characters and the action. The first time I read it, I was in my 30s and in a time of phychological chaos. The book came alive for me. Now it feels flat. (I'm also listening to the audiobook but I read it the first time. That probably has a lot to do with it.)

Thersites said...

As you can tell, I really enjoyed this particular Hillman lecture. He's a big Jungian... and I'm more Freudian, but they're complementary. Jung completes what Freud leaves out, and often better contextualizes it.

And no, I rarely remember my dreams either (unless its' work related).

And again, yes, reading and listening take different pathways through the brain. it's no wonder you experience them differently, although I must confess that unlike others (like my daughter), I seldom re-read books unless I'm trying to remember a passage. My daughter has read the Harry Potter books at least 20x.

And I've only done a few audiobooks... listened to mostly when driving. I do love the old radio shows though... especially when driving at night. I remember one particular night trip from Western Iowa to Eastern Wisconsin driving in my car listening to them on public radio. I had no trouble at all staying awake.

-FJ the Dangerous and Extreme MAGA Jew said...

Yes, and trying to figure out what the dream images mean is probably what makes them fade so quickly. We're "interpretting" analyzing... getting in the way of the images. And soon, we can no longer see them. We're just left with a great big "huh?"

Instead of trying to figure out what the image mean, we should be trying to think of what they did and were doing. Maybe they'd stay with us longer that way.

Jen said...

I enjoy several radio shows on NPR. Hidden Brain is especially good.

Jen said...

I've not read any of the Harry Potter books but my best friend has read them several times.

Did I tell you about Hamnet? Maggie O'Farrell is the author and it's historical fiction about Shakespeare's family. That one was better the second time.

Thersites said...

Yes, but I still haven't read it. Maybe in 3 more months.... ;)

Jen said...

I can't believe it's that close! How are you feeling? Any immediate plans?

Thersites said...

No...I'm too busy at work. :(

I doubt that I'll do much. I'll simply enjoy NOT thinking about other people's problems for a change. :)