Friday, July 14, 2017

Each Day I Take a Piece of My Life and Put it in a Little Box...

For centuries, Hindus from across India and beyond have traveled to Varanasi to spend their last days in the 5,000-year-old city. They believe dying there will release them from the cycle of life, death and reincarnation -- and bring them salvation.

"Words fail to describe what I have seen while on this epic trip," filmmaker Aeyaz Hasn said. "This is my attempt to give you a sense of what it was like to experience the amazing 'Varanasi' and the mysterious vicious cycle of life and death."

The hauntingly beautiful scenes are paired with the poetic words of philosopher Alan Watts.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Looks interesting! Two of my patients died recently, and I was relieved for them. We would handle death better if we saw it as another step on the journey.

Joe Conservative said...

My dad just passed @ age 89. He had a stroke, wasn't recovering very well, and refused IV fluids. We could have over-ridden his doctors orders, but didn't. He was ready to go, and so we let him. It's never easy, but it doesn't have to be high-drama either.

Jen said...

My condolences, FJ, although like I said earlier, I am relieved for him.

My grandmother lived to 91, and it was good to hear people celebrate her wonderful life rather than cry.

(I just wrote a long paragraph about suffering / living with a disability / and death, and which is worse. Then I remembered that I have no idea, so I deleted it.)

-FJ the Dangerous and Extreme MAGA Jew said...

Thanks, Jen. Celebrate his life, we will!

-FJ the Dangerous and Extreme MAGA Jew said...

...and thanks for your prayers for Jersey. I hear through the grapevine that he passed. You woulda liked him, and I'll certainly miss him!

Jen said...

Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear about Jersey. He had a really sweet spirit. I enjoyed reading about his musical adventures... Thanks for letting me know, FJ.