Wednesday, May 28, 2014

SuperEgo Desires

So there I was, lying in bed. The sky was starting to lighten... it was a work day, and I just didn't want to get up and go to work. So I lay there a little longer, and started to dream. In my dream, I was still at home... needing to get ready to go. I needed to take a shower, walk the dogs, all those morning rituals to fulfill. And then my co-workers started showing up in the house. I asked them if they wanted to use the bathroom and take showers. I started to get fresh towels for them to use, before I jumped into the shower, myself. And then I woke up.

Freud says that all dreams are "wish fulfillments". He was absolutely right. I wished I didn't have to get up and go to work. So my work started showing up at home. I got my wish.

I've got to be more careful what I wish for.

8 comments:

Jen said...

Do you use all of your vacation days? Or do you cash them out at the end of the year?

Thersites said...

Neither. Sometimes you just HAVE to go to work.

Jen said...

on work....i am facing a potentially stressful situation. i'm wondering if you'd have any words of wisdom....it has to do with my testimony in the defense of a co-worker who was unjustly fired...and the subsequent backlash against me.
:-( I guess I'm thinking that you might have some suggestions since you experienced some friction recently...

Jen said...

let me know if you'd rather discuss it in an email.

Thersites said...

Up to you... whichever suits your privacy needs better. I can delete anything you post here... but it is open to the few who do visit for as long as it's up.

Jen said...

Okay. I'll just ask you this...during your recent experience, did you speak to anyone in HR?

Thersites said...

No, I never spoke with anyone in HR. My company "disputed" my ability to collect unemployment benefits during the Government Shutdown with the State Unemployment Office. I appealed directly to the State office, and was granted unemployment benefits after a lengthy telephone conversation describing the back and forth, proving that I had not "refused work", but had been "locked out" by the Government.

Jen said...

Ok, thanks.