Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Disassociating Sensibilities

Eliot’s famous phrase, “dissociation of sensibility”, in this essay was to explain the change that came over English poetry after Donne and Andrew Marvell. Dissociation of sensibility is the division of thoughts and feelings, which according to Eliot is done by Dryden and other poets of the age. They are responsible for the dissociation. There is a loss of union of thought and feeling whereas in metaphysical poetry, according to pointing out of “Eliot and the Traditions of Criticism”, there is no separation of thought and feeling. Chapman’s work is a recreation of thought into feeling while a thought to Donne was an experience, which modified his sensibility. Metaphysical poets were trying to objectify their emotions according to Eliot’s principle of objective correlative.
- Read more: http://bookstove.com/poetry/the-metaphysical-poets-by-t-s-eliot-2/#ixzz2zdkSjGAF

6 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for introducing me to the Miserable Rich. Very cool music.
I really like the lead singer's voice.

Thersites said...

My pleasure, I just serendipitously discovered them myself!

...and I enjoy the strings!

Jen said...

Yes, I like the strings, too. They remind me a bit of Andrew Bird...or Airborne Toxic Event.

So much good music to discover!

I recently "discovered" a photographer that I think you might like...I'll return later with the link.

Jen said...

http://fadedandblurred.com/articles/sublimely-mundane-uta-barth/

I like the phrase "sublimely mundane". :-)

Thersites said...

I only hope that the grant doesn't ruin her.

Money is sometimes more of a curse...

Thersites said...

The presumption of the MacArthur people is that it can only help...